Cats are very cleanliness conscious and that works to your benefit when it comes to litter training a kitten, one of the most important aspect of kitten care. As tedious as it sounds kitten care relies on taking important measures at the right time and litter training a kitten is one of the basics. Let’s gear up and get started.
Training a kitten is not that hard when you know when to react and how to adjust to your kitten’s mood its kitten care 101. Beside the technical preparation steps listed here you should also be prepared to take up this duty as a whole since it would call for some additional stress and a lot of patience on your part as a kitten owner. You brought in a new member in the family it’s time to take up that responsibility.
What – You would need two containers per kitten, yes kittens can be very selective about what goes where. You would also need a good kitten litter to fill the containers. Lastly, a scooper and cloth pieces, for you.
Where – Talking of where your litter containers should be in a secluded corner of your house and a set should be placed on every floor.
Why – Duh!! Because you love your kitten.
How – Hold your horses dear human, we’re getting there. P.S Your Kitten
[title text=”Do’s Of Litter Training Of A Kitten” style=”center”]
Now that you have geared up for your kitten’s training let’s walk you through the dos of this important part of kitten care. It is vital that you don’t get too creative with your kitten, but sure you can practice your creativity on the environment you create for her and of course the containers you have brought.
- Do purchase large containers and fill them a good quality kitten litter. Large containers are better because you won’t have to change them over time.
- Do purchase two containers because some kittens like to poop in one and pee in the other.
- Do make sure that your kitten gets easy access to the container, use a card board in the start if it’s a little high.
- Do use praise to help your kitten ease into the littering mode, all kittens ever need is love and attention especially attention, loads and loads of it.
- Do confine your kitten to the littering quarters if it is possible, this would help the kitten get acquainted with the container.
- Do use a covered container large enough for the kitten to move around in it.
- Do clean the kitten litter every day, like we said, cats are very conscious about their cleanliness.
- Do feed your kitten at regular intervals to keep your kitten healthy and well cared for.
[title text=”Don’ts Of Litter Training A Kitten” style=”center”]
You now know exactly what you are going to do in order to train your kitten but there is more to it. Yes the don’t, which are just as essential as the dos of the training. Cats are fragile creatures so beware that they need all your care and cautiousness to thrive in your house and be the member of your family you want them.
- Don’t leave the litter tray in a busy area, kittens demand privacy sometimes more than a human.
- Don’t use a perfumed kitten litter, not every kitten can adjust to it and owing to their sharp senses you should let them adjust to litter.
- Don’t move the litter container all of a sudden, if you want to change the location do it gradually.
- Don’t try to help the kitten with the digging and burring of their poop, nope not a good idea at all.
- Don’t use punishment for training especially not when in the box that would give your kitten the impression of a punishment zone.
- Don’t push your kitten to poop in the box, if you catch her pooping outside the litter container place the poop in the container.
- Don’t leave the accidental litter area unclean, make sure of thorough cleaning to avoid future incidents.
- Don’t leave plants in large pots inside the house, your kitten may start using them for litter.
[ux_custom_products title=”Check Our Products For Litter Training” products=”9″ columns=”3″ cat=”cat-litter”]
Tips For Litter Training Your Kitten
Just to give you some ideas as to how should you go about this training session beside the technical cha cha we have compiled pro tips for you to make sure you make the best out of this training.
Be Patient with your kitten, just remind yourself that you are the intelligent one there. Just like you do in a relationship give your kitten time to adjust to her new surroundings because after all you are in a relationship just a little different kind.
Litter bedding should be at least two inches thick to give your kitten enough digging space before she hits the bed.
Plan your strategy and this is where most of your patience would go so be vigilant while litter training a kitten but be precise at the same time, of course with some room for error.
Be Positive associate the process and the litter container with positives to keep this training a positive experience for your kitten, you don’t want your kitten to be running away from it.
Cleanliness this is why you have to be very vigilant all the time, if your kitten litters outside the container make sure you clean till the scent is gone and keep your container clean with daily litter cleaning and as much container cleaning as possible.
Some kittens are naturally very adaptive so you just may not need any effort while some give a little tough time to their human, that’d be you. But worry not, if you follow the dos, don’ts and tips here you will end up with a fine mannered kitten nevertheless.